Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Back in the USA...mostly

Hello from....NY?!

Yes, I am back in the states. I left Piura on Thursday, May 1st in the evening and arrived in Rochester, NY around 3pm on Friday. Thank you all for praying for safe travels - I had no problems (other than getting a little confused in the very large JFK airport). It is a very bittersweet feeling to be back, intensified by a bit of culture shock. A big piece of my heart and mind are still in Piura, so I feel sort of like I am a boat drifting in the harbor, not quite ready to let down my anchor. But I must.

April went faster than any of the other months I spent in Peru, as it was chock full of teaching, spending time with family and enjoying my last weeks as much as possible. My last post anticipated an unforgettable birthday, and boy was I right!! On the morning of the 12th, I went to the church and taught the kids about Jesus entering Jerusalem on a donkey and how he showed that he was the King for all people, humble yet majestic. For the craft, we made palm branches out of poster-board and wrote the different names of Jesus on the leaves. The kids really enjoyed that. After the lesson, all the kids sang to me and Jon Edwards brought out a birthday cake for me! We all ate it and had a good time :) That evening, I returned to Christian Life Community School (where I was living with Rosy and Hugo Silva) and was given a surprise birthday party, complete with guests, a meal and a mariachi band! What a huge, humbling blessing!! Jesus loves to shower us with His love, often using other people :)

The week of the 7th was testing week at CLC. The results were disappointing so I had to review (again) and give a second-chance test, because I knew my students could do better. There are a few who really care about learning the language, and others who barely try. Just like here in the states. Although I often got frustrated in the classroom, I learned to keep calm One day I got to be on the outside and be firm. One day I got to be "that teacher" who gave the whole class extra work, which they had to do in silence before the were allowed to leave. Full circle.

My last Sunday at the church was nice - I got to lead worship and say goodbye to the church members, followed by a time of fellowship with cake for Jon Edwards' birthday! After the service a bunch of the children I taught on Saturdays came by and gave me a gift. We sat on the floor together for some time, and I got as many hugs as I could :) I miss them.

Even though I am no longer there, I am receiving updates on Pastor Julio's health situation. If you remember, he had an accident about a year ago and thanks to God, recovered. However now he is experiencing new health problems, likely side effects of the accident. Before I left, he went to Lima to have surgery done and there is a possibility that he will be having another surgery in the next couple of months. Please keep Pastor Julio, his wife Janet, their daughters and the rest of the family in your prayers! The problems seem huge to us but I know that God sees the big picture and is more than able and willing to help us :) So let's claim victory over all sickness in Jesus' name!

Well, my friends, this may be the last letter you receive for a couple of months...until God sends me out again! Thank you, from the bottom of my heart for EVERYTHING you have done - the prayers, the financial support, the encouraging messages and phone calls - this journey would have been impossible and quite lonely without you! If you want to get together and talk, I would love to tell you stories and hear about what God is doing in your life!

***Because I am home, I will no longer be needing the monthly financial support. Thank you!

Con mucho amor,
Laura Beth





No comments:

Post a Comment