Monday, March 31, 2014

Como fue, Marzo?


Este mes se fue rapidamente, y han pasado muchas cosas...


Yes, it's finally happened! I have started to think in Spanish :) For those of you who do not speak or understand the language, that says “This month went quickly and many things happened.” Some things have remained constant, ie the weather (high 80's to high 90's and humid), the bugs, my bottom of my feet becoming black from the dirt by the end of the day. But other things, bigger things, have changed!


First, there was the VBS that we held at the church (it was actually held the last week of February but I'm including it in March). The theme was the Armour of God, which the kids really enjoyed. We started classes on Monday the 24th in the morning and finished the week off on Friday the 28th. Each day we started with this song, had a brief lesson on each part of the armor, and then separated into three age groups. I worked with the group of 7 to 9 year olds, doing crafts and playing games. The main craft we did was a mobile with all six parts of the Armor of God, using coat hangers! It was a lot fun :) By the end of the week, all of the kids knew the Armor song by heart (and still remember it now). To those of you who prayed for us, thank you! God heard you and acted on it.


Due to my early departure from Peru, Jon Edwards and I decided that it would be good for me to spend some time with my other family who lives here in Peru. Hugo and Rosy Silva are the principle and coordinator of Christian Life Community School – some of you will remember that I lived with them back in 2011. I moved on the 5th, the day before school classes started, and have been teaching English here five days a week! Rosy and I teach 1st through 4th grade, taking turns in leading the lessons. The first thing we taught was the Five Little Monkies song :) Those kids love to sing! Of course, some days are fun, some days are down right tiring. Every time that I teach in a classroom, I gain more and more respect for the teachers I had when I was in elementary, middle and high school. They seriously have one of the most demanding jobs I know of. With that said, I am learning day by day to find my strength in God. He has blessed me abundantly where I am at. Rosy, Hugo and their son Paulo consider me part of the family and I feel truly loved, even by the relatives!


For those of you thinking, “Hey, what happened to working and living at the church?” , have no fear! I am still working with the children's ministry at the church. I spend Monday through Friday at the school, then go the church on Saturday and spend the night so I can attend the service on Sunday morning. I will continue to live at the school and work on this schedule until I leave the country on May 1st. Currently I am choreographing a dance (here's a link for the song) for some of the girls at the church. I hope to have them ready to perform it on Easter Sunday, which does not give us much time! But we're going to try it.


Prayer Requests:

Pastor Julio woke up with pain in his side last Sunday and had to go the doctor. They gave him some medicine to help with the pain and he was able to return in time to attend the worship service (praise the Lord!). The latest news is that he went today (Monday) and saw his oncologist who gave him stronger medicine for the pain. He feels it is not kidney stone since he has stomach pain as well. He is thinking his gall bladder or pancreas, so tomorrow he will have tests done and an x-ray. Please pray for good results!
 

I need God's grace on a daily basis. To teach my students, not just words and facts but that my behavior and and character would show Jesus to them. Just because they attend a Christian school doesn't mean that they live in Christ-centered homes. I am here, in Peru, to be a testimony of God's love to these kids.


I have just one month until I come back to New York. Five weeks to soak up as much of this lovely place as I can and give as much love as I can. My hearts is still in it, by grace I am not anxious about leaving early. Please pray that I continue to keep my eyes on the work I am doing here and now. God has put this passion for His children in my heart. My life as a missionary is not ending when I get on that plane.



Thank you, dear friends. Your love and prayers give me strength each day. I love you!

God bless you,


Laura Beth
 
 
The Red Team!! My group during VBS in February.
 
 
Me with my friend Mariana, the day before she left for Lima.

Rosy's dog, Reyna had puppies! Here is one of the adorable babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment